Once you have downloaded your song to your desktop, connect your iPhone to your computer and open iTunes.
1. Locate the song file on your desktop and drag it into iTunes.
2. Locate the song in your iTunes library.
3. Right-click [Control-click] on the song. Choose ‘Create AAC Version from the drop-down menu. iTunes will create a copy of the song in AAC format.
Note: Do not choose the ‘Create Ringtone’ option. That is only used for songs you have purchased on the iTunes store.
4. Select the ringtone/AAC version of your song and drag it to your desktop.
Note: if you are unsure of which version is AAC, select one of the songs, Right-click [Control-click] on it to open the drop-down menu. Go to ‘Get Info’ and click on the ‘Summary’ option. ‘Kind:’ will tell you which format of the song you have chosen.
5. Go back to iTunes and delete the AAC version from your library.
6. Locate your ringtone song on your desktop and long click on the name to make it editable.
7. The file extension name shows .m4a (meaning MPEG 4a) i.e. My Favorite Ringtone.m4a. Delete the ‘a’ and replace it with an ‘r’. So it looks more like this: My Favorite Ringtone.m4r.
Note: You should also add a 1 or other number or character to the name of the ringtone so that it does not overwrite the original song. i.e. My Favorite Ringtone1.m4r.
8. Click on the desktop to exit editable mode. A pop-up window will appear and ask: ‘Are you sure you want to change the extension from “.m4a” to m4r”. Click ‘Use .m4r’ to accept the changes you made and make the ringtone.
9. Locate your ringtone on your desktop again. Double-click on it. The ringtone will start playing in iTunes and should automatically appear in your iTunes Ringtones library. Stop the ringtone from playing.
10. Locate your iPhone under ‘Devices’ and click on it. Select the ‘Ringtones’ tab.
11. Make sure ‘Synch ringtones’ is check-marked and either select the ‘All ringtones’ or ‘Selected ringtones’ option.
Note: if you choose, ‘Selected ringtones’ make sure that your new ringtone clicked in the list below the options, so that it will synch to your iPhone.
12. Click the Synch button at the bottom of the window.